1. Barack Obama had an eclectic upbringing, spanning experiences with his Kenyan background, his Indonesian sojourn and schooling as a child, and his Kansas, middle-America background and upbringing. He has seen how the rest of the world really lives and has a balanced, open mind when it comes to dialoguing with people of differing cultures and backgrounds. This makes him a more effective listener, and gives him some unique perspective when it comes to resolving issues. I wouldn't be afraid to let him off of Air Force One in a foreign country, like I have been of Bush, as I have confidence he would represent his country well, and won't make us all look like fools the moment he opens his mouth.
2. Steadfast opposition to a totally misdirected and wrong-headed war, this war, and I quote: "will require a U.S. occupation of undetermined length, at undermined cost, with undetermined consequences." He isn't campaigning as a prophet, but I think that pretty well sums up the outcome.
3. He is not afraid to rethink and alter a position when new information is brought to bear that obviously requires an adjustment of approach to an issue or a problem. He does not blindly hold to a position just to validate prior stated opinions.
4. He is a thinker, rather than a knee-jerk reactor. We desperately need a leader who can carefully analyze a situation and develop a reasoned response. Obama is such a leader.
5. At this point, anyway, he and his campaign are not so desperate that they are stooping to the crass levels the McCain campaign is in their attempts to convince us to vote for McCain by vilifying and marginalizing Obama. Good grief! It's more politics Bush-style by calling the opposition names when you can't deny their valid points on the issues.